Friday, May 11, 2007

Dicentra spectabilis 'Gold Heart' - Bleeding Heart

Iowa Gardening Woman and Nickie were absolutely correct in identifying the mystery flower as bleeding heart. Well done! I can see I am going to have to be much more devious if I want to fool anyone again. You two got it very quickly!

Here are more shots of one of the "pride and joy" plants in my garden. I have also noted that this is one plant I located correctly my very first try. I planted it about 8 yrs ago and have never moved it!

Dicentra spectabilis 'Gold Heart' - Bleeding Heart

And here it is full-size

I have found this plant to be very easy to grow in my Zone 5 climate in southern British Columbia. It needs to be kept watered, but doesn't need an excessive amount of irrigation but that may be because mine is in dappled shade all day. In full sun I think it would need a lot of water.

It doesn't die down in the summer.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How pretty. I'll bet it's too hot and dry in Austin to grow bleeding heart, so I'll just have to enjoy other gardener's photos of it.

8:18 p.m.  
Blogger quu said...

I bought that yellow Bleeging Heart this year and let's see what plant will like Finnish winter. :)

2:56 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home