Thursday, April 26, 2007

Polygonatum

Polygonatum

This plant has changed its Latin name a number of times, and I have had considerable experience with changes in Latin names, such that I am not going to go out on a limb and declare what the name of this one is! But it is the variegated form, about 18" tall.

When I first planted this Solomon's Seal it was not happy. The plain version took off, but this one looked like it would die. So I moved it. Same story. Then I had a spot where nothing would grow because it was so dry. This one loved it there and has spread to entirely fill a 6 x 3' area. I am almost sad because my husband offered to build a little "deck" out over the pond, as a way to deal with this area where nothing would survive. It would have been lovely but when these plants thrived I gave up the idea of the deck. I guess I should be trading for some other project, though I expect he will have a bout of memory loss if I bring up the subject.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love this picture! I'm such a sucker for shots of emerging foliage, although that sounds a bit silly. :)

12:33 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home