Friday, February 02, 2007

Last Winter Was So Different

Last winter the month of January was very rainy. This winter we have a foot and a half of snow on the ground and its been well below freezing for weeks. I even stuck my well-used quilting ruler in the snow and took a picture! It snowed some more right after I took it.


All this snow should be good for the plants though. Last winter the rain in January is what I blame for the demise of my 2 magnificent Centranthus rubras (Jupiter's beard or Red valerian). They have carrot like roots but they rotted. It is a very hardy plants, so it wasn't the cold and since the seedlings around these two were perfectly healthy I could only assume that the rain and resulting ice is what killed the plants.

In December I found this orchard near Kelowna and for some reason there were still loads of apples on the trees. It was a beautiful sight!


4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Those apples are beautiful left on the tree... it seems like some kind of unusual artistic juxtaposition, though. Why were those beauties left there, I wonder? Is the orchard no longer in use?

3:40 p.m.  
Blogger Muriel said...

Next summer I am going to stop in at that orchard and ask. They grow fruit for sale from their yard. Maybe I should print up a couple of pictures for them. I can't help but wonder if they would see any beauty there. My parents used to be orchardists. I wonder if my dad could have seen beauty in such a scene. He would surely have wondered why they weren't picked. Or maybe he would have said "They were not worth the expense of picking. Couldn't make enough off of them to pay the pickers." Just a guess.

5:41 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos! Do you still have snow? The rains have started again here on the coast... and probably won't stop for a couple months!

2:02 p.m.  
Blogger Muriel said...

Update:
I drove by those apples a few weeks ago and they were all gone. This has me wondering if there is experimentation going on regarding using apples for ice wine. Or maybe ice cider.

8:45 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home