Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Birds and Windows

Ugh, just lost a bird. The one and only thrush. We have birdfeeders and I hadn't gotten around to putting up the decals in the window that supposedly warn birds to not fly into them. Now I can't find the decals. However last summer I put up a long spiral in one window that was getting hit a number of times a day (silly Juncos) and it completely eliminated the problem. So I had a couple of spirals in the house so I put them up on the inside of the glass. Seems to be working as in the space of about 5 minutes I noticed three goldfinches head for the window and veer away at the last moment.


In case you don't know what this spiral thingy is that I am talking about, I have bravely taken a picture. You ask why I consider myself to be brave? The window needs cleaning! One of the reasons it is dirty is because of birds hitting it. And do I want to go out and clean it? Not when its -15 C!!! However I did go out and refill the feeders.

2 Comments:

Blogger ryan101 said...

I remember you giving this advice to me when I had to clean up some suicidal birds.

But is it such a good idea to put the feeders right next to the window as they seem to be? Looks like you're inviting trouble...

5:14 p.m.  
Blogger Muriel said...

Trick photography. Those feeders are about 12-15 feet from the house.

The window that got the most hits was much further away, but at the corner of the house. The Juncos appeared to be trying to take a shortcut.

Interesting thing was that the birds that hit the windows never hit hard enough to perish. Only the Thrush died. And by far the most hits was late last spring, when I had stopped feeding them due to the window problem.

Another time I will have to tell the story of the robin who tried to get in the house....

7:47 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home