Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Pictures Tell the Sad Tale

The release of pent-up snow on our metal roof is a pretty significant event. It can fall off the upper roof, onto the main one with a house-shaking thud. Just such a thud was heard but my husband said "I hope that wasn't the chimney. It is leaning." Such a comment definitely piqued my interest!! So out we dashed to view the roof. The chimney was still where it was supposed to be, but it was definitely leaning.


No matter what angle you viewed it from, it was definitely leaning.


So back in we went and in less than 5 minutes. We heard another crash. DH says "That has to be the chimney."



He went up to survey the damage. Its hard to tell from this picture that he is on a roof, but he is many feet above the ground.


So he determined that since it is too cold for mortar to set, we will have to do without the use of our woodstove for the rest of the winter. I sure hope we are done with the coldest part of the winter and will just coast out the rest of it. Dare I hope?

4 Comments:

Blogger Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Ouch!!! I felt bad about my broken tree and frozen palm till I saw your roof!
I'll send some warm air your way.... if we get some here, in WA.
Stay warm!

5:20 p.m.  
Blogger Vims said...

ditto...ouch indeed. I wish I could share the warmth here with you...or maybe its a sign that you should come and visit us in Singapore.

7:03 a.m.  
Anonymous Galliena Gornet said...

If only warmth can be sent through the comments that your readers make here, you'll definitely get a lot of warmth. I hope that you went through the rest of the winter well and that you've fixed the chimney.

1:36 p.m.  
Blogger Muriel said...

Thank you all for your concern. We did have electric heat, so we did not freeze. But heat from a wood stove is much nice than from electric heaters.

The chimney is now fixed, so we are ready for all that winter throws at us.

4:35 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home