Monday, October 13, 2008


This past spring, in a moment of weakness, I purchased a package of leek seedlings. I have grown them once before, but was frustrated with what a nuisance it was to dig a trench to plant them in, then to gradually fill it in as the leeks grew. Then there was the problem with cleaning the dirt from inside each leek.

With a little more time on my hands now (post-children era) I decided to try again. This time I gave a lot of thought to how to grow them. I figured that if I could keep the soil away from the sides of the stem, then it shouldn't get into the folds, right? As the leeks got bigger in the flat, I had run out of time. So I just dug a trench, set the leeks in, firmed them in the soil, and put smallish leaves (I collect bags of leaves and always have some on hand) between them and the sides of the trench.

Awhile later I filled in the trench, being sure to keep some leaves around the plants. I was not holding out a lot of hope for this method, as I assumed the leaves would break down, but it was the only idea that was feasible at the time.

I am amazed and happy to report that this technique worked incredibly well!! I have completely dirt-free leeks, with an incredibly long section of white...about 10".

Now to deal with them all....

I wrote this about a month ago, intending to include a picture, but I didn't get a photo taken before they were all "dealt with".


Post a Comment

<< Home