Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Nitrogen Requirements for Roses

From Mike on the GardenWeb forums, when replying to someone's question about feeding roses:

“The average daily nitrogen need of a green house rose has been determined to be 70 mg per day. This amounts to 0.21 ounces over a 3 month period. If you feed each rose 1 tbs of 10-10-10 , that's 0.5 ounces of fertilizer or 0.05 ounces of nitrogen - about 1/4 of what the rose needs. If you feed 4 tbs of 10-10-10, that's 2 ounces of fertilizer or 0.2 ounces of nitrogen - exactly equal to what the rose needs. I would go on the high side with 6 tbs per rose.”

Wow!

I am making alfalfa tea for my roses. It is supposed to promote basal breaks, the branches that start from the bud union (the bulge in the trunk, just above the roots).

Have also been soaking my new bare-root roses in diluted willow water. My hands sore from cutting up willow rods, so those roses had better like it. But it is time to get out and finish planting them!!

2 Comments:

Blogger kerry said...

Are you putting the alfalfa tea on your new roses? I had read somewhere to hold off till they are established. What recipe are you using? I made a batch a couple of weeks ago using 4cups pellets to 5 gallons of water. Oh what a putrid mess. The plants seem to like it though.

4:13 p.m.  
Blogger Muriel said...

My notes say to wait 2 weeks, but I have a new post on the subject.

8:41 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home