Monday, March 20, 2006

Red Sealing Wax Palm


I saw picture of this palm on a hotel's website, and between it and the fact that the hotel was on the ocean, I just had to go there. We spent 3 very enjoyable nights, just south of Dominical, on the Pacific Ocean.

It appears that the only part of the stem that is red is the new growth. So it is only red above the topmost joint. But with new shoots growing from the base, there are red sections at varying levels.

After some searching I found that its Latin name (I love Latin names) is Cyrtostachys lakka and its common name is Red sealing wax palm. So I assume it is used for sealing wax (gee, am I clever or what?). This is not a common palm in Costa Rica.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stuart said...

Nice palm. Is this as tall as they grow? They would look great in a tropical garden wouldn't they?

Thanks for picturing them.

8:57 p.m.  
Blogger Muriel said...

I decided to look up more info. They reach 12' to 15' (3.60m to 4.60m) in height and are hardy down to Zone 10B-11. Its ideal temperature is 80 degrees, likes humidity and constant moisture. Native to Malaysia.

Now I just need to move to the tropics so I can grow it!

8:59 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is 1 of my favorite palms. I love rare palms.

8:42 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home